Built in 1746, the building is a protected structure, and PJ Hegarty followed meticulous protocols during the project. The existing slate roof was completely removed and replaced using identical slates, while the external walls were re-pointed using a number of lime-mortar mixes.
It was crucial for the extension to match and complement the other buildings in Collins Barracks, so all windows and doors (except the entrance door) were refurbished and restored, and all rainwater pipes and guttering was removed, refurbished and reinstalled.
The building was modernised and upgraded to meet fire standards and cater for mobility impaired visitors, including a new lift. We also installed new energy efficient mechanical and electrical services including specialised exhibition lighting and a natural ventilation system. A new extension was constructed to provide a kitchen and office space.